Prosper Your Family

Monday, August 23, 2010

SHELF LIFE OR MY LIFE?


I read a blog posting by Sue Schick and saw that we're making a little progress as far as the commitment by several food producers in our country is concerned. Since we decide where we'll spend our dollars the food producers better start making better food!

I found this wonderful whole grain cracker the other day, that would have been a great afternoon snack for my daughter but when I got home and read the ingredients label (didn't bring my glasses while shopping) I saw it contained partially hydrogenated oils and got sad, because again they did attempt to make something healthy (and a good job promoting it) but still used a silent killer in in.

Not only obesity is a problem in this country but heart related diseases are number 1 in this country! Partially Hydrogenated Oils have been banned from restaurants in several states, but are still "poisoning" most of our foods in the grocery stores and turning healthy peanut butter into heart attacks (for example).

When I shop there are a few things I look for (to avoid): the length of the ingredients list (too long is very suspicious), Monosodium glutamate (MSG), Partially Hydrogenated Oil (PHO), and High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). I want our food to come without these 3...that should be possible!

What is more important? Shelf life or my life?

No comments: