Prosper Your Family

Saturday, December 11, 2010

FOOD WASTE WATCH


I am a big fan of The Frugal Girl blog, Kristen blogs almost every day and always includes nice images as well.

On Friday she shows the food that went to waste, to help her to reduce wasting food. I have posted about this before, yet Kristen's food waste images encouraged me to continue to keep an eye on it.
"Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it."

This morning I checked my food waste for the week and I am happy with the result: a few slices of turkey and some tofu--I turned into a dessert but my daughter didn't like it--and it was too much for me to eat it all.

Some people have composters or animals that could eat the scraps. We have two dogs and 7 chickens, even our wasted food does not really go to waste! What I like about watching food waste is that you become an efficient meal planner (including better portions), more creative cook, and save some money in the process!

Here's a nice article about the amount of food we waste from The New York Times.

No comments: